- Set pressure cooker* to medium heat or place over medium heat. Add oil and bacon. Sear bacon 3-4 minutes until cooked through. Remove bacon and set aside.
- Add beef to pot and sear 3-4 minutes, turning to sear all sides.
- Add red wine to the pot and with a wooden spoon scrape any brown bits of the bottom and side of the pot. Simmer and reduce for about 5 minutes. Gradually add water, beef base and tomatoes to pot.
- Stir in bacon, carrots, onion, garlic, thyme, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cover and set to pressure cook for 45 minutes.
- Do a natural release until your pressure cooker indicates it is safe to open (do nothing, just allow to depressurize during this time) Remove lid.
- Turn heat to medium, sauté and allow to thicken for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Remove bone and any fatty bits. Shred beef and stir together.
- Cook polenta according to directions on package.
- Serve beef over the polenta. Garnish with parsley.
*Note: A pressure cooker is not required for this recipe, though it does make it go faster. If you don’t have a pressure cooker substitute step 4 for 2-3 hours of braising in your over at 250 degrees Fahrenheit.