On January 16th, 2021 we will host our 22nd annual Chili Cook-off and “Wine Lovers Potluck.”
the next chili cook-off will be held on january 16, 2021
The categories will be the same as in past years: Four Legs (beef and pork), Two Legs (Fowl), Vegetarian (non-meat), and Exotic (Seafood or wild game, including venison).
Online chili registration for 2021 will open on December 1st, 2020. All chilies must be registered online and most categories will fill well in advance of the event. The cost to enter is $10/chili which includes admission for two. We also have a limited number of non-contestant tickets available for $2.50/person. **Non-contestants are required to bring a dish to pass.
- 1:00pm-2:00pm: Chili Check-in
- 2:00pm-3:00pm: Non-Contestant Check-in
- 3:30pm-3:45pm: Winners Announced
- 2:00pm-4:30pm: Wine Lover’s Pot-luck Picnic including live music
- 5:00pm: Event Conclusion, winery closed
2020 Chili Cook-off Winners
Best of Show: Christine Seese, Byron Center, MI
- Please pre-register at www.fennvalley.com. No chilies will be accepted without proper registration.
- Categorization of chilies is as follows:
- 4-Legs: Contains meat such as beer or pork, which walks on four legs.
- 2-Legs: Contains meat such as chicken or turkey, which walk on two legs.
- No Legs: Does not contain ANY meat or fowl.
- Exotic: Contains meat or fowl other than those listed above, such as wild game or seafood.
- There are no cooking facilities available on site so entries much be received in a ready-to-judge form. We recommend a crock-pot as hot as possible.
- We do not allow garnishes.
- All chilies must arrive at the prescribed time.
- There are three judges per category. Each judge uses a 14 point scale and all chilies are judged blind. Criteria used to judge include: color, aroma, texture, heat/spice, flavor and overall enjoyment.
- The highest scoring chili from each category will be re-evaluated by all 12 judges for the position of “Best of Show” chili.
- Any ingredient you feel will enhance the flavor of your chili is allowed, provided it doesn’t disqualify you from the category chosen.
- This is not an International Chili Society sanctioned cook-off and is not affiliated with any other entity.