**This recipe was featured as part of our 2016 New Release Wine & Food Pairings.**
- Cabernet Sauvignon (Dry Red)
- Meritage (Dry Red)
A savory and classic beef based meatball recipe. The sauce is as tart as it is sweet, making it a nice pairing with a dry, red wine.
Meat Balls – makes about 30
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup minced onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1/4 cup dry wine
- 2 eggs plus 1 yolk
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 lbs 12oz ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 6 oz pomegranate molasses
Pomegranate Currant Sauce
- 1/2 cup pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 cup currant jelly
- Preheat over to 400F
- Heat oil until it shimmers in a medium saute pan. Add onions, stir and cook for about one minute. Then add garlic and stir together.
- Add wine to saute pan, remove from heat and let sit covered for 10 minutes to soften onions. Allow to cool completely.
- Place eggs, yolk and panko crumbs in a large bowl, stir together.
- Add beef and remaining ingredients, including cooled onion mix. Knead together.
- Form meat balls using about 2 tablespoons of material for each.
- Mix chicken stock and pomegranate molasses well for baking liquid.
- Place meatballs into a lightly oiled baking pan, add baking liquid and bake uncovered at 400 degrees.
- Serve immediately with pomegranate currant sauce.