**This recipe was featured as part of our 2017 New Release Wine & Food Pairings.**
- Meritage (Dry Red)
- Cabernet Sauvignon (Dry Red)
- Lakeshore Ruby Red (Semi-Dry Red)
An Italian take on this classic Mexican dish! The strong fennel flavor of the sausage is a classic Bordeaux style red wine pairing. The apples deliver an acidic component that highlights the crispness of cool climate red wines. And anytime cheese is involved wine seems to fit in nicely.
- 10 fresh flour tortillas
- 1-1/2 pounds strong Italian sausage,** cooked
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced paper thin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lay out tortillas. Cover half of the tortilla with mozzarella cheese. (When melted this is the “glue”)
- Cover cheese with cooked Italian sausage.
- Cover sausage with sliced apples.
- Place Parmesan over apples.
- Fold empty side of tortilla over the loaded side and press down firmly.
- Lay out on parchment paper covered baking sheet.
- Place in 400° oven about 20 minutes or until tortilla begins to brown.
- Remove from oven and flip over. Return to oven for about 20 more minutes or until tortilla gets golden brown spots.
- Can be served dry like a taco or cover with your favorite pasta sauce and eat with a fork.
**If you can’t locate a strong Italian sausage consider adding extra fennel.**