**This recipe was featured as part of our 2016 New Release Wine & Food Pairings.**
- Vino Verde (Dry White)
- Pinot Grigio (Dry White)
Israeli couscous has the consistency of pasta, making this light and fresh side dish the perfect compliment to grilled foods and chilled white wine. This can be made ahead of time for easy entertaining.
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried summer savory
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 pinches crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Minor’s Chicken base
- 1/2 cup Israeli (pearl) couscous
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan bring the water to boil. Reduce heat to medium and stir in chicken base, savory, parsley and red pepper flakes. Stir and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Pour in couscous, stir to combine, and simmer until tender, about 12-15 minutes. Cover and remove from heat. Let cool and drain off any remaining liquid.
- Place cooled couscous in a salad bowl and lightly combine with lemon zest, almonds, celery, onion, tomato and olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until cold, at least an hour.