This recipe is a Welsch family favorite, and was originally published in our print newsletter in 1996! Spread this flavorful concoction on slices of fresh baked bread and serve them with your favorite Italian red sauce and pasta or on their own with bread as an appetizer.
- 1/4 lb (1 cup) peeled garlic cloves
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry red or semi-dry red wine (such as Meritage)
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1.5 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F
- Combine ALL BUT THE PARMESAN CHEESE together in an oven proof bowl
- Cover and bake at 350F for 1.5 hours, or until the mixture starts to turn dark and caramelize. DO NOT let the onion or garlic burn.
- Stir vigorously to mash the garlic and onions.
- Sprinkle the Parmesean cheese on top and return to over for 3-5 minutes.