This recipe was a guest favorite at our 2013 Wine & Food Pairing Weekends. The use of red wine in the broth helps marry the flavors between the soup and a nice dry red wine such as Merlot.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups carrots, sliced
- 1.5 cups parsley, chopped
- 2 10.5oz cans condensed beef broth
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups diced cook roasted beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roast beef until cooked through (at least 140F in center). Allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a large pot, saute onion, garlic, carrots and celery in 2 tablespoons butter until slightly soft, about 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in broth, wine, tomato juice, barley and beef.
- Simmer covered for at least 1 hour.
- Simmering this soup longer will continue to develop flavor.