This is a great vegetarian recipe when you are looking for something other than meat to throw on the grill. They are surprisingly filling with a great earthy flavor.
- 4 Portobello mushroom caps, washed with stems and gills removed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine, such as Fenn Valley Pinot Grigio
- 10 oz fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices of fresh Mozzarella cheese
- Mix together vinegar, oil, garlic and pepper. Add mushroom and let sit a few hours, turning occasionally to completely marinade.
- Sautee onions in a little oil for 3 minutes or until soft but not caramelized. Add sun-dried tomatoes and salt. Cook for another minute. Add wine and cook until liquid evaporates.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Set mixture aside.
- Grill Portobello mushroom hollowed side DOWN for 5-8 minutes.
- Flip mushrooms over. Divide the spinach mixture among mushrooms. Then top each with a slice of Mozzarella cheese.
- Close grill and cook until cheese has melted.
- You may chop up the stems and add them to the stuffing mixture if desired.
- Grilling times will vary since the mushrooms are extremely hydrated.