This recipe gets its name from the tiny acini di pepe pasta that serves as the base. The citrus fruit and shredded coconut are a great pairing for a sweeter wine.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 2.5 teaspoons salt
- 1.75 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 16oz package acini di pepe pasta
- 1 11oz cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 20oz cans pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 20oz can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 8oz container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pineapple juice, and eggs.
- Stir and cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice and cool to room temperature.
- In a large pot bring water to a boil.
- Add oil and remaining salt and cook pasta to al dente. Rinse under cold water and drain.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta, egg mixture, mandarin oranges, pineapple and whipped topping.
- Mix well and refrigerate overnight or until chilled through.
- Before serving add marshmallows and coconut and mix well.